The Great Parenting Show


Tuesday, September 4, 2012

First Day at Full Day Kindergarten

Rain


Husband and I had planned it out the night before.  I would take all three kids to school, drop off Little Sister and then go do groceries.  Well, didn't think it would rain like this all day!

not sure I want to walk kids to school

thank goodness for rain boots!


ready for school?

pointing to the gush of rain water in the ditch

Beautiful!
Husband ended up driving our little Kindergartener, something we are trying to avoid.  If we can walk, then we don't have to use the car.  It just seems better for the environment and also for our health.  But, I think it was an exceptional circumstance.  I am grateful to have the option!

Remy and I played most of the morning in the Play Room.  I felt it was quite a productive day.

Little Sister came home all excited about her first day!  She had already told Daddy so much about it on the way home that she acted like I already knew what went on.  She made a craft using her whole body.  It sounded like a cut-out of her body to make into a life-size paper doll.  She ate her lunch and most of her apple and banana. 

When I asked her what she had brought home, she said "some apples".  I was thinking along the lines of arts and crafts, but that answer was totally appropriate too!

On the way home, Husband had gone to the store to buy Little Sister a digital clock to put in her room, hoping that she would understand to wash up for bed at 8:00.  He installed the clock, and the digits are quite large!  Even I could read it without my eyeglasses on ;)

Then came bedtime...

Instead of washing up, she ran in and out of different rooms of the house with her brother.  It was wonderful that they were playing peacefully together, so I suggested that she play with him in the basement tomorrow after school.  Right then, it was bedtime.  "AHHHHHHHHHHHH!" came her screams.  "I don't want to go to bed!  I don't wanna go pee." 

It would have been easy to lose my calmness, but it would not have helped the situation.  I remained loving, knelt down to her level, asked her to look me in the eyes.  She turned away, covered her ears and yelled "NO!  I'm not listening!"  I told her that I had a problem that only she could help with. 

Husband held the baby in another room while I used my creative juices and humour to get the little girl into bed.  Tonight I ended up using some physical manipulation, and washed her feet in the sink.  She laughed.  She wanted to do it again.  Then she got me carry her back to her bed after she brushed her teeth.

8:45 PM - quiet  They weren't sleeping yet but at least they were in bed.

There must be a way that is quicker and easier.  I received many suggestions from friends on Facebook from setting a strict schedule to calming and darkening the environment closer to bedtime.  There's must be a way or two.  In the meantime, attitude, creativity and humour is what I'm using.

Off to bed now.  Sweet dreams, Everyone!

3 comments:

Jen said...

I admire you for being able to remain calm in the face of the resistance of a very strong willed little girl! I sheepishly admit to doing quite the opposite sometimes (G really knows how to push our buttons!)

I'm so glad that S had such an excellent first day of kindergarten! :) As for the bedtime dilemma....routine is key, that's about all I can say. You know....her starting school may just help you solve this problem.....often, kids coming out at the end of a busy day learning at school. While kindergarten is play based, it is intentional learning - and that can tucker the little ones out!!

Jen said...

I meant to say kids tend to CONK out after a long day at school - darn autocorrect!

OptimumMom said...

Thanks for your comments, Jenny! yes, I am sure glad that school has given us a routine - Monday to Friday. She's still not tired nor sleepy yet, but it's just the second week.