The Great Parenting Show


Friday, November 2, 2012

How I Get My 4 Year-Old to Dry Her Hair

My daughter is a strong willed child who seems to remember everything including adult promises and also her wants. 

Yesterday wanted to dry her hair before she would climb into bed.  Her bed time is scheduled for 8 PM every night, but it was already past 8, and we still hadn't read for ten minutes yet as part of her school program.  Her older brother was already in bed, but she didn't want to go to bed much less dry her hair. 

So, this is what I did.  I pulled out the hair dryer and brush for her and a hair pick for me.  I ushered her excitedly and matter-of-factly into the kitchen...


ME:  Hey, it's time for drying your hair.

LITTLE SISTER (LS):  No, thanks.

ME:  Hurry, you get a book and we can read it and dry your hair while you count.  (Looking wide eyed and very excited to be doing this activity.)

LITTLE SISTER:  (Goes to her room and comes back to the kitchen with a Curious George book)

ME:  You want to read this one?

LS:  (Nods.)

ME:  (Start reading the title and turn to the first page.)  All right,  now let's count to ten with the drying on.

LS:  (Looks at me and smiles in agreement.)

ME:  (Turn on the hair dryer and start blowing her hair.)

LS:  1...2...3..4...5...6....7...8...9...10!

ME:  (I turn off the hair dryer.)  Okay, wow you counted to ten all by yourself.  (I read the first page of the book.)  Okay, now what number do you want to count to?  How about twenty?

LS:  Okay!

ME:  (I turn on the dryer again as she counts all the way to twenty.)  Wow, you counted to twenty!  (I continue reading the book.  We pause and talk about the story.)  All right, what do you want to count to this time?

LS:  Mmmm, thirty.

ME:  That's a good idea.  Okay, ready?

LS:  Go!

ME:  (I turn on the hair dryer again. And I stop at thirty.  We read again.  Since her hair is mostly dry, I read more of the book.)

LS:  (She stops me from turning the page.)  No, Mommy, don't turn the page!  We have to count some more.

ME:  (I wasn't about to argue, so we counted again to forty as I dried my own hair.)

I was amazed with the way things went.  During the Summer, it would have been like pulling teeth with nagging and physically forcing her to dry her hair.  With this method of "compromise" (actually, I think of it more as a dual activity) and fun game, she really WANTS to participate.  She feels in control so cooperating isn't an issue.

I hope that you find this idea helpful in getting your child to cooperate with you.

Enjoy your child today,

No comments: