The Great Parenting Show


Tuesday, November 20, 2012

How I Got My 4 Year Old to Try Something New at Supper

Picky Eaters and Food Restrictions


It's not always eating supper together in the evening when there are food restrictions and a picky eater.  My son has limited foods that he can eat, and we're really grateful that he actually enjoys them.  My daughter, on the other hand, became a choosy eater last year around this time. 

Only recently in September did we start eating supper together as a family instead of ushering her into her room, locking it so that her brother wouldn't "accidentally" barge in and eat something that he can't have.  I was making 4 different meals for each member of the family.  We had "accidents" of my son getting into forbidden foods.  Meal times would take so long to make, eat (since I had to eat when everyone else was done) and then clean up. 

 

Supper Time


Remy is sitting down already eating his quinoa and vegetables.  Gramma (my mom) is just getting ready to eat.  My husband is holding the baby getting ready to eat.  I am sandwiched between him and my 4 year old. 

The food is set out in the middle of our wooden table. 

The Protest


Little Sister (LS) declares, "I don't like any of this food on this table!" She has a serious look on her face full of protest.

Daddy asks her, "How do you know?  Did you try everything on the table?"

"No!  I don't want to eat anything here.  Mom, are there any more crackers?"

The Game


I decide that it's time to play a game and entice her to at least try something.  "Hey, do you want to play a game?  Let's play a game."  She smiles a bit because games are fun.  "How about you feed me and I feed you?"

"Okay," she responds smiling.

"All right.  You can feed me first."

Little Sister takes my spoon and feeds me my soup.  "Mmm.  That is SO good!  Okay, what should be spoon into your mouth?"  I decided to go with avocado because it is something she eats. "And here you go."  I make the flying airplane spoon into her mouth.

LS eats the avocado, and is enjoying this suppertime game.  "Okay, I feed you again."  She takes some more soup and arugula from my bowl and puts it into my mouth.

"Mmm.  That is SO good!"  I put some more avocado into her mouth so to make sure she is still going to play this game.  LS eats the avocado and spoons me some more food.

"Hmm, would you like a pickle?" I show her the jar of Bubbies. 

"Yes, please," says LS.

I cut up the pickle for her.  She eats it with enthusiasm.  The turn-taking feeding game is taking off.

The Bait


"Okay, now how about a tiny bit of something new..." I reach over for the walnut soup and bean soup and really give her just enough for a taste.

Looking a little distressed, Little Sister opens her mouth to continue the game with some courage.  Her eyes widen.  "Mmmm!  I want some more!"

She Likes It!


And with that, she ate her entire supper with energy, excitement and enthusiasm.  She also commented, "it's fun to try something new."  As well, she got me to take pictures of everyone.  We went on to brainstorm what else we could do to make suppertime a FUN time, and Little Sister said we would make a Supper Book, a compilation of photos of her trying new foods.

Enjoying the walnut soup and bean soup with a pickle!


Today's Method

So, what I did was work with what she liked:  games.  As the momentum of the game took off by first offering her the foods I knew she did eat without a problem, I then introduced a tiny bit of the new food (walnut soup - which is actually some walnuts and potatoes in a stew-like consistency and bean soup) as part of the game.  She took the bait, and discovered she LOVED the new food.  So from there, she just ate supper by herself.

I also add to the game by talking with a cartoon voice as if I were the beans and potatoes, "hey, do you think the little girl is going to eat us?"  To which my daughter responded with "I'm going to eat you!"  And she did happily.

Here's to playful supper time,

No comments: