The Great Parenting Show


Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Is She Sick or Trying to Avoid School?

"Mommy, I want to barf."

"Really?"  I asked my (just as I was typing this, I heard my little girl barf... so let me start over with the story).

---take two---

"Mommy, I want to barf," said my daughter with innocent  eyes.  She didn't seem sick.  Maybe she was playing a game trying to find a way to not go to school.  So, I let her be.  I went back and forth to the kitchen to prepare the kids lunches for school as well as preparing the kids, dressing them, etc.

My daughter awoke like at about 7:30 AM, and started complaining (but not seeming really to be sick) about 7:40 AM.  As the time drew closer, my son was ready to go, so I was able to concentrate on her.

Was she truly feeling unwell?  Was she inspired by other kids at school to be sick so that she could stay home?  Was she trying to avoid school for some reason?  The only way to find out was ask a few gentle questions.

I got down to her eye level as she lay on her pillow.  "Why do you want to stay at home?"

"Because I don't feel well," she responded honestly.

Little Sister tried throwing up into the toilet several times before I actually managed to playfully dress her and prepare to for school.  There was no barf.  It would have been possible for her to conjure up some vomit, but she didn't at the time. 

She smiled to jokes and was walking around -- it was not clear to me if she was truly feeling ill to her stomach.  So, I tested the situation in other ways.  I put breakfast on her little table in her room:  freshly made skillet scallop potatoes and a hard boiled egg on top.  She just told me that she was thirsty.  i offered her water, but she whined and said she didn't want water.

As we drew closer to 8:40 AM, I was putting my own jacket, hat and scarf while she still stuck to her story, "I'm not feeling well." 


------- take three -----

It is now Wednesday, November 14, 2012

It's been a week since I first started this post, and since then I've cleaned up my daughter's barf on two different occasions.  She was indeed not feeling well.  Well, two days after she was feeling a lot better and happily attending school. 

That was when I started to feel not so well.  Then it was my turn to vomit in the middle of the night.  That wasn't so bad compared to the soreness of my muscles.  My whole body felt weak, stiff and tired.  Basically, I was in bed early Friday evening and up Sunday morning feeling better but not 100% (today I felt 100%, so trying to catch up on tasks). 

Saturday night, my son vomited while he was sleeping.  Fortunately, I had heard him licking his lips, so I walked into his room with my baby's potty.  I caught his barf!  And saved his new bed from the christening it would have received if it weren't for the potty.

My husband was dealing with this bug from Sunday morning until yesterday.  Actually, he seems to still be sensitive to the stomach.

Today, I spoke with another mom about this flu that has been going around.  She hopes (and I hope for her) that she doesn't get it.  She said that the teacher (my daughter's) got it and 7 kids were away from school this Monday.  Well, having been through it, I'm grateful...

Grateful for being sick?
There's indeed countless things I am grateful for, but for this experience, I want to mention the following:

  • I am grateful to my mom for taking care of things around the house as well as helping with the baby.  Just knowing that someone else will do the dishes or put things away helps ease the pressure.
  • I am thankful for a reminder to listen to my children when they say they are not well.  I didn't force my daughter to go to school, but did try to get her there.  Next time I could just give her the benefit of a doubt.
  • I am appreciative to my husband for taking the helm when I'm in bed.  The best way to get better is to rest without worry about duties.
  • I am thankful that my baby was unaffected.  He continued to nurse, and I believe the protection was there in the breast milk.
  • I am grateful to be reminded to appreciate good health.
  • I am grateful for the detox.  I need that once in a while.

Now, after all this recovering, it's time to go to bed!

Blissful Blessings and Healthy Cheers to you,

No comments: